Monday, August 10, 2026

How Much Management Does Knowledge Need?

The topic of this month's Emacs Carnival interests me, even though I "dump ... notes into a directory and simply grep for information ...."0 Org does not work the way my brain works,1 or rather, my brain doesn't work the way Org works.

I do use Org. At first I created a few Org files (work.org and home.org, and maybe todo.org) thinking I could rigidly dedicate all my topics to them.

Over time I had about dozen files, one for nearly every major facet of my life until I gave up. Why? Because it really doesn't matter where I put Org TODOs and their notes. When I need to locate something, Org provides a way to search entries for a regular expression, which is what grep does, sans all that Unixy CLI stuff.

So faced with the task of paying one of my wife's medical bills, I could agonize over whether to put the task into wife.org or bills.org or medical.org.2 Or I could just:

  • establish the task somewhere,
  • act on it
  • link to a receipt
  • mark it done3

I created a special template for org-capture, which places these one-off tasks into todo.org. And it clocks into the task, too.

A topic with even greater complexity is "education." I'm a lifelong learner; my edu.org file has (only) 29 headings, all of which have at least a few subheadings. If I learn about an Emacs feature, I might want to write about it, so I'll put a task into blog.org that links to it.

Occasionally a post will span multiple topics in edu.org, topics such as Emacs, Vivaldi, LibreOffice, HTML or LaTeX. In a year from now, which file should I look for it in? The keystroke C-c a s comes to the rescue.4 I might search for "Sacha" because all I remember is that I discovered an Emacs feature on Sacha's website.5 Incidentally, I get 13 hits when I search for "Sacha," one of which was the one I had in mind.

The question I think all Emacs users face is, "At what point does tweaking Emacs (and self-quantifying tools in general) tip the scales from aiding our progress to impeding it?" I dread going down a Knowledge Management rabbit hole,6 but I'm sure I'll enjoy the leap.

0 Charlie Holland's Search for Knowledge

1 A tree works like your brain.

2 Don't even get me started on insurance.

3 All of this occurs while clocked in to the task.

4 In this case, C-c a is bound to org-agenda.

5 Sacha Chua's blog

6 Can one gain knowledge of Knowledge Management Systems without having a Knowledge Management System in which to record that knowledge? That may be a Zen koan for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Please note that comments may be deleted if they:

* Contain link(s) to a domain outside USA or Canada or to a commercial enterprise.
* Include non-English words or characters.
* Are irrelevant to the subject matter of the post.

For posts older than 14 days, comments are moderated and require approval.