Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Display Active Clock in Emacs Frame Title

I thought it would be helpful to modify the title of the Emacs frame to display the Org task I'm clocked in to. It turns out to be a lot easier than it sounds -- just change one Org variable in Customize.

The variable is org-clock-clocked-in-display. Its default value is mode-line. This means that the active clock displays only in the mode line. But it can have one of three other values: nil, frame title, both.

I've set it to both. Now the clocked task displays in both the mode line and the frame title. It shows the clock duration in square brackets followed by the task heading in parentheses, as shown below.

Screenshot of a small part of author's Emacs frame.  It shows the title as [1:00] (Pay Medical Bills).  Below that is the menu and the first three lines of author's Org file.

This simple update has improved my productivity significantly. The prominent display of the clocked task reminds me of what I started to do before I went down yet another rabbit. Not that rabbit holes are all bad -- I was in a rabbit hole yesterday when I found org-clock-clocked-in-display.

Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Please note that comments may be deleted if they:

* Contain link(s) to a domain outside USA or Canada or to a commercial enterprise.
* Include non-English words or characters.
* Are irrelevant to the subject matter of the post.

For posts older than 14 days, comments are moderated and require approval.